Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Digital Natives

Are you what is known as a digital native or immigrant? Or do you subvert the stereotype?


This is an interesting topic.

I myself had no exposure to computers or technology until I was 12 (I am 48 now), however right from the moment I gained access to computers I have felt like a native. I don't know why I get on with computers so well - I just knew that they were for me right from the beginning.

I have been working with computers for 30 years more or less continuously and never tire of them. I don't believe that I have any technological accent, perhaps I am like a child that came to a new country at the start of high school and just managed to start early enough on the new language that I didn't retain any accent with my new language. I am not so sure that this is true however, I think that even if I didn't get exposed to technology until my 20's.

I guess, according to the writings I subvert the stereo type since I was not exposed to any technology at a young age (as there was none to be had). My belief however is that the concept of digital native and how you qualify for this grouping is seriously flawed. I don't believe that there are many fundamental differences between those that have been exposed to technology at an early age and those that weren't. The  supposed "digital natives" as defined by Pensky of today, while generally (though not universally) are more  confident that they can use technology and computers do not necessarily have much in the way of technical capabilities when trying to operate them.

I expect when I become a teacher that I will indeed love technology more than some of my students (keeping in mind that I will be teaching ICT). I hope that I can pass on some of my passions for technology to the students.

It is also interesting to note that the Pensky article was written in 2001. This is a long time ago in technological progress terms. Since then there has been a huge shift in skills and technological expectations mainly due to the internet and the "always connected" mindset. I believe that  the "internet natives" are in some ways more identifiable than digital natives.

2 Comments:

At January 13, 2015 at 1:49 AM , Blogger Meegan Menzies said...

Enjoyed reading your point of view. What you say makes a lot of sense. Interesting comment you made in regard to 'loving technology more than some of my students'. I think there in lies the key, if you are passionate about ICT, I don't think it matters if you started out as a 'Digital Native' or 'Digital Immigrant'.

 
At January 21, 2015 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Areeya said...

My technology exposing was not at the young age. In those days, technology was not popular. Internet was just introduced to general public. Mobile phone (brick shape) was just for voice communication. Back to those days, only people who were confident in using technology could manage it. Nowadays, "digital native" and "digital immigrant" would have the same meaning because technology these days are more user friendly. People don't need to have technical capabilities to be able to use it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home